Dienstag, 20. Juni 2017

Talking with Toushonta of Scentsational Soaps

Toushonta Hogan started her company, Scentsational Soaps, in 2007. Scentsational Soaps focuses on using natural ingredients to create soap, candles, body butter, scrubs, and more. Toushonta sells her products in a variety of ways, including online and ...

 

Soap Queen Blog

Talking with Toushonta of Scentsational Soaps


Toushonta Hogan started her company, Scentsational Soaps, in 2007. Scentsational Soaps focuses on using natural ingredients to create soap, candles, body butter, scrubs, and more. Toushonta sells her products in a variety of ways, including online and wholesale. Recently, several Target stores in California started carrying Scentsational Soaps! Learn more about Toushonta and her creative journey in the interview below.

Scentsationalsoap

How long have you been soaping and how did you get started?
I’ve been soaping for 10 years and got started after receiving a wholesale order after trying my hand at melt and pour soap.

What sort of advice would you give to those soapers just starting their businesses?
I would advise soapers who are just starting their business to get involved in conferences, meet-ups, and Facebook groups. They are both beneficial and an awesome way to meet other creatives and develop lifelong relationships.

meToushonta Hogan, the founder of Scensational Soaps, creating a batch of cold process soap. 

What is your favorite type of product to make?
My favorite type of product to make is soap. It’s so therapeutic.
BasketsBeautiful baskets of Scentsational Soap products.
What inspires you to create?
So many things inspire me to create. The weather, my atmosphere, colors, people, etc. I enjoy looking at things from a creative perspective and transforming it into soap.

How did you come up with the name for your business?
My husband and I randomly wrote a few names down and Scentsational Soaps just stood out to us. It had a ring to it.

OatmealOatmeal Soap, made with ground oats for exfoliation.

You can find your products in select Target stores. Tell us more about how this partnership happened, and what you’ve learned from it.
I received a flyer from a dear friend (and was tagged by a few others) that Target was looking for local vendors. I filled out the application and unbeknownst to me, it was due the very next day. Of course, I said to myself that I wish I had more time. I filled it out and uploaded a few pics. A week later, I received an email inviting me to present my product to a panel. I was excited, nervous and blown away as I felt that I was not ready. It’s these moments where we have self doubt and it can really deter you from fulfilling your true dream. 

TargetsoapScentsational Soaps on the shelf at Target.

I presented our products and waited two weeks for their decision. It was exactly two weeks from the date of presenting that we received another email. This time, it was to congratulate us, as they welcomed the opportunity to partner with them in fall 2016 to have our products on their shelves. I couldn’t believe it! I was elated!!! Months later, the learning curve began and it was fast but steady. I definitely learned to not doubt myself, stay ready, and position myself for every opportunity imaginable. Take a chance! 

What advice do you have for businesses looking to expand their wholesale business?
Be sure that you have your paperwork together. This includes line sheets, insurance, etc. Make sure that you have the manpower and the financial means to fulfill large orders as most large wholesalers will have a net 30 or more. Lastly, have the mindset to push through unforeseen circumstances. Things happen and you must be prepared to respond effectively.

LavenderScentsational’s beautiful Lavender Soap

What is your favorite Bramble Berry product and why?
I have so many favorite Bramble Berry products, so it’s hard to just name one but I will try. Activated charcoal is one of my favorites as we currently use it in our Charcoal & Tea Tree Soap. I love the rich color that it brings my soap as well as its soaping qualities.

collageCharcoal & Tea Tree Soap, made with activated charcoal

Tell us something unusual or unique about yourself!
I don’t know if I would call this unique or unusual, but I love to love on others and help. I wish there was no pain in the world and everyone was happy. Giving comes as second nature to me. Whether it’s a helping hand, a listening ear, word of encouragement, etc. I love giving back.

CharityA collection of Scentsational Soap to be donated to a local charity.

What are some of your other hobbies and interests?
I absolutely enjoy cooking and shopping! During my downtime, you can find me whipping up a new recipe or at the mall shopping for shoes or a cute outfit. It’s one of my favorite past times. 

What is your number one soaping tip?
My number one soaping tip would be to masterbatch. This has saved my life as it has made soapmaking so much easier and faster. 

ProductsA collection of Scentsational Soap products including soap, body butter, and scrubs. 

Have you ever experienced a horrible soapy fail? How did you work through it, and what did you learn?
We had our first soapy fail when we made our first wholesale order, about seven years ago. We didn’t let the lye cool down and when we mixed it with the oils, it caused a volcano. We also had some soap accelerate on us due to the fragrance oils. We’ve had a few soap fails since being in business that all have taught us very good lessons. Do not pour too hot, choose the right fragrance oil so it doesn’t accelerate, and so much more!
CoffeeCoffee and Cream Soap, made with coffee grounds.

What do you love most about creating bath and body products?
I love being able to choose different colors, scents and packaging, as well as the therapeutic qualities that come with creating each product. But most importantly, I love giving the finished product to the end-user and receiving their reviews.

Find Scentsational Soaps
Online
Facebook
Instagram

The post Talking with Toushonta of Scentsational Soaps appeared first on Soap Queen.

     

More Recent Articles



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen